People with small ears or microtia often worry about whether or not they can wear AirPods. Apart from the obvious worries about comfortable fit, they also wonder if the earbuds will stay in place during rigorous workouts and of course running.
Additionally, if they are not able to get a good seal on the earbuds, the sound leakage can inevitably lead to decreased audio quality and an overall less-than-satisfactory experience.
Apple’s AirPods and AirPods Pro are designed to fit a wide range of ear shapes and sizes, but as it goes there is no one-size-fits-all solution for all of us. So, some people with small ears may have difficulty getting a snug fit.
The original egg-shaped AirPods (and its successive generations, 2nd, and 3rd) may fit millions but they aren’t the best-designed earbuds for people with small ears or large ears. The worst part is, that you don’t have any customization options as you do with AirPods Pro.
The good news is that if you have small ears and are looking for AirPods that will fit snugly and not fall out, you can get the AirPods Pro. The AirPods Pro and pro 2 offer ear tips in three sizes (small, medium, and large) so there are greater chances that you will find a size that fits your small ears snugly and doesn’t fall out.
Now, that we have established that AirPods Pro offers a better fit for small ears than Airpods, let’s discuss some of the related questions that might be of your interest.
- Related Post:
Do AirPods Come in Smaller Sizes?
Let’s list here Airpods and AirPods Pro sizes for you.
Airpods (1st and 2nd Generation):
- Height: 40.5 mm (1.59 inches)
- Width: 16.5 mm (0.65 inches)
- Depth: 18.0 mm (0.71 inches)
- Weight: 4 grams (0.14 ounce)
Airpods (3rd Generation)
- Height: 1.21 inches (30.79 mm)
- Width: 0.72 inches (18.26 mm)
- Depth: 0.76 inches (19.21 mm)
- Weight: 0.15 ounce (4.28 grams)
Airpods Pro Size:
- Height: 1.22 inches (30.9 mm)
- Width: 0.86 inches (21.8 mm)
- Depth: 0.94 inches (24.0 mm)
- Weight: 0.19 ounces (5.4 grams)
Here you can see that the new generation of both Airpods Pro and the original Airpods (3rd Generation) has decreased in size. However, the part of the earbuds that matter (the depth) has been consistently on the rise, which means that Airpods might have a hard time fitting in small ears. Here again, the Pro series has an advantage with its customizable ear tips.
Is AirPods Comfortable for Small Ears?
The Original Airpods and their successor generations may not be the most comfortable earbuds for small ears as they don’t create a seal in the ear. As we have noted, this can cause sound leakage and decreased audio quality.
However, AirPods Pro has been designed with comfort in mind and its ear tips create a seal in the ear, which leads to better sound quality and less noise leakage.
Which AirPods are the Smallest?
The third generation of Airpods is the smallest among all the Airpods. However, as far as the ease of fitting in small ears is concerned, Airpods Pro takes the first spot.
In a head-to-head comparison, Airpods (3rd Gen) and Airpods Pro have almost the same height 30.79 mm and 30.9 mm respectively. Whereas, 3rd Gen Airpods take the lead in width and depth where they measure 18.26 mm and 19.21 mm respectively as compared to 21.8 mm and 24.0 mm of AirPods Pro.
Why don’t AirPods Fit my Ears?
If the contoured shape and patented design of Airpods still don’t make them any better fit for your ears then it might be due to the size of your ear opening. It can either be too small or too large for the earbuds to fit in snugly.
Is AirPods Pro good for Small Ears?
Apple’s Airpods Pro is the best Airpods for small ears. They offer three different sizes of silicone ear tips so that you can find the one that fits your ear shape and size the best. Airpods Pro seems to understand the need for a customizable and comfortable fit that doesn’t sacrifice audio quality.
You can replace the silicone ear tips with foam ear tips. These ear tips expand and contract inside your ear for a better fit. They also create a seal that leads to better sound quality and less nuisance. These Airpods can be worn for an extended period without any discomfort.
Other Advantages of AirPods Pro:
- Noise Cancellation
- Transparency mode
- Low Distortion driver
- sweat and water resistance
Can you return AirPods if they don’t fit?
You can return Airpods if they don’t fit within 14 days of purchase. You can return the Airpods for any reason whatsoever in this time span. Apple has a no question asked return policy for the Airpods so you are fully covered.
You can return the Airpods to any Apple Store or the Authorized Apple Reseller.
How do I know if AirPods will fit me?
If you are buying AirPods for the first time and are unsure about the fit then you can follow these steps:
- Head over to the Apple Store and try Airpods or AirPods Pro Tester in person.
- if you have purchased the Airpods Pro online, and want to know which size ear tip ( S, M, or L) might best fit your ear size, try the Ear Tip Fit Test* on your iPhone. This test will help you get the rich base, best sound quality, and noise cancellation out of your AirPods Pro.
- You can always return the Airpods within 14 days window only if you bought the Airpods from Apple Store.
*How to perform Ear Tip Fit Test:
- Pick the M-sized Eartips first and put the AirPods inside your ear canal.
- On your connected iPhone, go to settings-> Bluetooth->Tap info button ‘i’ icon next to the connected Airpods Pro-> tap ‘Ear Tips Fit Test’-> Tap Continue
- Tap the play button.
- If the test suggests you try a different-sized Eartip, put the M-sized Eartips back in their case and take out the other size. Now repeat the steps until you optimize the fit for your ears.
Depending on your ear size and shape, you might find two different-sized ear tips best fit your right and left ears.
How do I stop my AirPods from falling out when I run?
Here are some tips to help you prevent your AirPods from falling out
- You can also use some AirPods ear hooks to keep the earbuds from falling out. These hooks go over your ear and keep the AirPods in place.
- Alternatively, you can try Airpods Grips which tend to be more secure and comfortable. These grips are made of plastic and wrap around all of your ears. They are also adjustable so that you can find the perfect fit for your ear.
- You can buy covers for your Airpods that basically increase the friction between your AirPods and your ear. This makes the Airpods more secure and less likely to fall out.
- If you don’t want to use any additional accessories, then you can try this old-school tip. First, put the AirPods in your ear and then tilt them to almost 30 degrees. This will create a snug and secure fit and the AirPods will be less likely to fall out. You can also try this while you are running or working out. Just remember to not tilt them too much or else they might hurt your ear
What should you get for small ears: Airpods or AirPods Pro
We would cast our vote in favor of the Airpods Pro. They come with a customizable and comfortable fit that doesn’t sacrifice audio quality. You can replace the silicone ear tips with foam ear tips, or any other soft ear tips you like. However, keep in mind that you might have to pay extra for those.
Airpods Pro has a superior sound quality and advanced features like Transparency mode, and noise cancellation. It is also sweat-resistant. So, if you are a fitness enthusiast or simply someone who gets sweaty easily, these might be the better choice for you.